Wednesday 16 April 2014

The IPL foursome

Calcutta: It’s that time of the year again! meet the faces of IPL extraaa innings

 
GAURAV KAPUR
The VJ-turned-actor has been the most consistent face of the IPL. His strengths? A pleasing presence and solid knowledge of the game.

LOOK FOR IPL 7
I am the bearded face of the IPL! I am thinking about keeping a moustache this year... in the promo, I have shot with a moustache just for fun. (Co-host) Samir Kochhar thought I was looking good, but Ajay Jadeja said that I should shave it off immediately! I still haven’t decided whether I should keep this Shikhar Dhawan type of moustache or shave it off and keep a beard.

Unfortunately, when it comes to clothes for boys, it’s so limited. You can wear a suit, or a three-piece suit or a combination. We tend to come back to the same thing. I wore Nehru jackets last year and I have seen people wearing it in the past one year... it has really become popular.

THE EXTRAAA INNINGS TEAM
Both Shibani (Dandekar) and Archana (Vijaya) are very close friends. Every year, apart from Samir and I, the other two chairs keep changing. We have a trust factor with these two girls in terms of content. It is very important to have that in a team.

BEST IPL MEMORY
It is a non-cricket memory. When we had the IPL in South Africa (in 2009), the day before it started, I got a chance to meet Matt Damon. He was shooting a film there. I had a lovely 15-minute chat with him about acting. That was my favourite memory.

Also, two years ago, it suddenly started raining during a match and I had to go on air. I ran into the studio without my shoes! I kept telling the director: ‘Don’t cut to a wide shot because I am not wearing any shoes.’ Then, during the break, somebody got my shoes!

THRILL OF LIVE TV
I love television and live performances of all kinds, whether I am on stage or on radio or on TV. It brings out the best in me. The thought that 60-70 million people are watching me. And I love cricket, so when both these two things come together, it is like spending time with my two children. I am like a happy father!

FAVOURITE SIDE
I say every year that all are my favourites since I have friends in all the teams.
UAE AS HOST
I have a lot of friends there who are very happy with the tournament going there. This is our chance to take the IPL to a new audience who wouldn’t have otherwise had a chance to see it. But what is also good is that the larger part of the tournament will be played in India.

ARCHANA VIJAYA
The Calcutta girl is not only a stunner on field and in the studio, she also knows her cricket.

LOOK FOR IPL 7
My stylists are putting together a different look this time. It will be more formal wear this season, but I will wear light colours to cope with the UAE heat. I love neon blues, pinks and yellows and you will see me sporting a lot of that. I also like lacy and flowy clothes. Besides experimenting with colours, I will keep my look peppy.

THE EXTRAAA INNINGS TEAM
Basically the A-team is back. When people tell me that it is my comeback, I disagree because I was very much around last year and was doing a lot of events around the IPL. This year will be exciting.

BEST IPL MEMORY
In 2012, Shah Rukh asked me to do the Korbo lorbo jeetbo step. I was sitting and wearing a skirt, so for obvious reasons I couldn’t, much to the glee of everyone around... especially my producers and Shah Rukh, as I looked uncomfortable and awkward. I promised them that I would do the step if Kolkata Knight Riders won and voila... they did! I did the dance in the studio after they won.

FAVOURITE SIDE
My heart beats for Calcutta... the Kolkata Knight Riders.

UAE AS HOST
I would have liked it if the entire IPL was in India. But at the same time you have to look at the brighter side of things. I love going to Dubai and this season, it will be nice to give the audience a glimpse of the sights and sounds.

SHIBANI DANDEKAR
The former model and VJ is back on Extraaa Innings after a break last year.

LOOK FOR IPL 7

I am working with my stylist Anisha Jain and a designer called Gabriella. I will wear knee-length bodycons, cropped tops with high-waisted skirts and jackets with high-waisted pants.

THE EXTRAAA INNINGS TEAM
We share a great camaraderie and fool around a lot. We get to see each other via satellite during the matches as we are in different cities during the IPL.

BEST IPL MEMORY
IPL 5 had a lot of close finishes. Sitting in the stadium and watching the matches was such an adrenaline rush. Other than that, talking to (former cricketer) Danny Morrison on the field is always a good laugh and dancing with Shah Rukh was a great memory.

THRILL OF LIVE TV
It is definitely challenging because you have to be on your toes all the time and have to watch the matches as well. Then there are a lot of other things that are happening at a crazy pace and you have to keep up with that. It is not only about wearing a pretty dress and being on the field. It is intense work.

FAVOURITE SIDE
Pune Warriors India was my favourite team as I am a Pune girl but they are not there this time. After the first two weeks of the tournament, I will be able to pick my favourite team.

SAMIR KOCHHAR
The TDH man is the show’s eye candy for girls.

LOOK FOR IPL 7
I have got a new designer, Gopika Gulwadi, on board. I want to wear fantastic colours and try a young look with suits. It will be an interesting mix.

THE EXTRAAA INNINGS TEAM
Yes, the awesome foursome is back!

BEST IPL MEMORY

It was an unbelievable experience to meet

Andrew Garfield and Jamie Foxx (who star in The Amazing Spider-Man 2) in Singapore. Jamie was excited about the tournament... there is a buzz about the IPL in America too.

Once I was sitting in the dugout of the Rajasthan Royals and Shane Warne came and dunked a bottle of water on me! That was live and I didn’t know about it. That was a lot of fun.

THRILL OF LIVE TV
I have been fortunate to host six seasons. I am thankful to Sony for taking me every year and showing so much faith in me. I get to interact with so many wonderful people. The tournament brings so much joy in people’s lives. It not only caters to purists but also women and children. My grandmother, who is 88, is glued to it.

FAVOURITE SIDE
I have always rooted for underdogs. This year, I want to see a team win which hasn’t won yet. I want Kings XI Punjab to come forward and play well as they are a good side.

UAE AS HOST

In Bade Achhe Lagte Hai, I played a guy who owns 11 malls in Dubai! It is a wonderful place, but the weather is going to be very hot which I am a little concerned about.

No comments:

Post a Comment